Wednesday 12 August 2009

Depression has Various Forms

The two videos below discuss different elements of depression and the medical approach to healing - while I don't agree with the medication-only approach (and I've not met a medical professional who does either) I do think it has its place alongside a more natural, self-empowered treatment programme involving counselling and self-work.

There's one moment in the first video when they talk about a 'smaller hippocampus' and I think 'oh no, it's that old chestnut' - the 'old chestnut' being all the biological evidence that says you've biologically 'had it'. I've now heard this crapola of 'you can't get rid of it you can only manage it' so many times - it's the number one excuse for not investing the time and effort that leads to proper healing so if ever you see this kind of stuff decide to carry on with your healing programme regardless.

I met with a 21 year old OCD sufferer a little while ago who had a head full of people telling her she could only manage her condition and not get rid of it - within 45 minutes I had explained to her how she could start to do just that and she looked at everything I said to her like it was a revelation.

Quite simply - you weren't always this way - you followed a path that got you here. Travel backwards the way you came and you get back to being a happier you (albeit a wiser you).




One thing to note is that no single resource is likely to fully heal your condition for you - for example I called on the services of two doctors, two psychiatrists and three counsellors over several years plus made several visits to hospital when I needed reassurance over some health side effects I started to struggle with (eg I had severe stomach acid problems for about six weeks at one point - I also went for a heart check-up when I started having palpitations).

In addition I read a variety of books; did personal journalling and have spoken to many people about their conditions. Getting emotionally well and staying that way is something you really have to work at; and because you're an individual and you need different things at different times you need to be willing to equip yourself with different resources.

Some samples are below.

Regards - Carl

[TABLE=13]
















Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden caves in the brain explain sleep

'Hidden caves' that open up in the brain may help explain sleep’s amazing restorative powers.  Click here  to read the article. ...