Sunday 14 June 2009

Stress Management in a Recession - A Simple Technique

I think this is a tough technique to learn.  I've been affected by recession twice in my lifetime - for 3 years when I was 19 in the 1980's and couldn't get a job (not even a floor-scrubbing job) and ended up doing voluntary work that eventually led to working as a nightclub doorman and then as a full-time postal delivery worker.  Then I had another period of two years in the 1990's where I decided to go into full-time education for two years after being laid off from Raleigh (the UK bicycle makers where I used to be a frame assembler).

I never looked back after those two years in college training as a secretary - but it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't changed my mindset - the first recession I saw my situation as 'disastrous' and the stress made me ill, the second recession I saw as an opportunity to do something more in line with who I was.

At first the technique described in the video may appear too simplified for some - but what it clearly explains is that most of our stress and anxieties are built around things that have not yet actually happened.  That scenario building mechanism in our heads known as the 'imagination' can be our best friend, or our worst enemy

We must deliberately take steps to reduce our stress-related thinking (for most of us 'catastrophisation' is a natural inclination and although designed by nature to protect us against potential dangers it can turn against us unless we deliberately work at separating real threats from imaginary ones).

I would also recommend this technique for changing your stress levels when thinking other people 'may' be thinking or saying unpleasant things about you behind your back - it doesn't matter whether or not they actually are - it's more important you don't think they are!  When it comes to negative stuff deal with what is actually happening, rather than what you  imagine could be happening - and foster a habit of building positive possibilities in the imagination - I think that's the underlying principle here.

Hope you find it useful.

Stress Management in a Recession - Tips To Reduce Your Stress

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden caves in the brain explain sleep

'Hidden caves' that open up in the brain may help explain sleep’s amazing restorative powers.  Click here  to read the article. ...