Monday 20 July 2009

Seth is Overcoming His Anxiety Disorder

This fellow is a fellow to follow - meet Seth; he's provided a brilliant set of videos on YouTube relating his journey to overcome his anxiety disorders. I'm going to post them on here and write my take on his journey but if you want to subscribe to his videos directly just click twice on the video and it takes you to his series.

His work is helpful (I think, anyway) to both anxiety disorder sufferers and those supporting them.



In this next video Seth talks about losing a friend due to his anxiety disorder. If you do lose friends when you start to reveal your condition (or even a partner) you need to try and not figure out why if they won't tell you straight - just get back to the work of healing your problem and let them deal with their issues..

Sometimes you can lose a friend simply because they've got a similar emotional disorder they've never revealed to anyone and you talking about yours can have a triggering affect.

I used to have a married couple as friends. I revealed my obsessions to them after knowing them for a few years and they stopped all communications with me. Seeing them in a local park a few months later I said 'Hi' and they completely ignored me and walked by staring straight ahead. It didn't bother me - the true test of friendship is that folks be honest and fair with you and they weren't.

Hope you like the next video (and please read the rest of the post afterwards).

Dealing with and overcoming anxiety 49 - Your true friends

There's one more thing to be a bit wary of and that's making friends with people who are attracted to you because you have an anxiety disorder. I once had a friend who was my friend because he felt superior to me - when I become more successful he didn't want to know me - then when he heard I was down in the dumps again I got a call from him to get together and I declined.

There are some folks who regard people with emotional problems as easily manipulated and 'useful'. You sometimes have to be brutal with yourself and not allow people such as these into your life.

Regards - Carl
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden caves in the brain explain sleep

'Hidden caves' that open up in the brain may help explain sleep’s amazing restorative powers.  Click here  to read the article. ...